Start a Podcast
This challenge has much in common with the previous challenge of starting a blog. It is based on the same motivation of getting good apologetic content out to the people who need it.
The advantage of starting a podcast over a blog is that you can attract a different kind of audience. There are people who have plenty of time to go through a good number of blog posts. But for some people, it is difficult to find the time to do it.
In the challenge of listening to other people’s podcasts, we saw the advantages of podcasts. We can listen to podcasts when we are driving, walking, working out, etc. It is the perfect medium for the culture that values multi-tasking. The reasons why we should listen to other people’s podcasts are the same reasons why we should start our own podcast.
I have posted before on how to start a podcast and I will not repeat all of the things that I have said before. However, I will give these tips:
- Choose podcast subjects the same way as choosing blog post subjects. Brainstorm a large list and then cut it down to a more manageable list of topics that you feel comfortable speaking on.
- Podcasting and blogging are not mutually exclusive. Promote your blog on your podcast and your podcast on your blog.
- Reuse content. Take one of your blog posts and expand it into the script for your podcast episode.
- Try interviewing people. You will be amazed at how many people, even well known apologists, will agree to be interviewed on your podcast. When I had Andy Bannister on my podcast, it was his first podcast interview.
- Do not feel obligated to have long podcast episodes. Ten minutes can be a reasonable time for a good podcast.
- Make sure to podcast regularly. When you let too much time go between episodes, it is easy to not get back into it.
- Do not get overwhelmed with the equipment that is needed. You can create a half decent podcast with just the equipment contained in your laptop. You may want to invest in better equipment but do not make that a condition for you to start.
- Make sure your podcast is on iTunes.
- Promote your podcast on social media.
My challenge for you is to start a podcast on an apologetics0-related theme. It can be as narrow or broad as you want. Most of all, let your personality shine through.
Recommended Resource: Check out my podcast, Hope’s Reason: A Podcast of Discipleship.
Find other posts in this series here.