While many more people are aware about autism, there are still many misconceptions. Here are six things that you need to know about autism.
Autism is a spectrum. The full name is Autism Spectrum Disorder. This means that people with autism can be anywhere from awkwardly brilliant to intellectually disabled and all points in between.
- Asperger’s Syndrome, which is basically autism without the language delays, is no longer a diagnosis. It would now be considered high functioning autism.
- Nonverbal does not mean that a person with autism has no words or is unable to use words. It means they do not use verbal communication as their primary means.
- People with autism do have empathy. They just may express it in different ways.
- Just because a person with autism is not looking at you, does not mean they do not hear you.
- Although we do not fully understand the cause for autism, there is a very strong genetic factor.