I have a disease that is called sarcoidosis. A lot of people have never heard of sarcoidosis. In order to increase awareness, I would like to share six things that you should know about sarcoidosis.
- Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that can attack many different parts of the body.
- Even though many online articles will describe it as such, sarcoidosis is not a lung disease. Yes the lungs are one of the most common organs attacked and sarcoidosis is often treated by respirologists, but sarcoidosis can attack many different areas of the body. I have it in my eyes and kidneys, as well as in my lungs.
- Many people with sarcoidosis go into complete remission soon after diagnosis, or after an initial prednisone treatment.
- Not everyone goes into full remission. Some people experience symptoms for the rest of their life and others experience flareups periodically for the rest of their life.
- It is possible to die from sarcoidosis, especially if it gets in the heart or if there is significant damage done to the lungs.
- Just because a person with sarcoidosis looks healthy, does not mean that they are not suffering from pain and fatigue.