The Jesus Myth Theory claims that Jesus never existed and that the narratives of the Gospels are based on pagan myths. In my recent book, Unmasking the Jesus Myth, I attempt to give practical advice on how to respond to the Jesus Myth.
If you ever find yourself in conversation with a Jesus Mythicist, I would recommend you ask them these five questions.
- Have you ever read any of the actual myths (as opposed to summaries in mythicist books)?
- If you were to contact any random professor of ancient history at a secular university and asked them if there is enough evidence to believe that Jesus was historical, what do you think they would say?
- Can you name one Josephus scholar who believes that Josephus did not mention Jesus and that the Testamonium Flavianum is a complete forgery?
- Why do mythicists claim that certain gods/heroes were virgin born when the myths say that they were conceived in intercourse?
- Why should ancient documents be discounted as historical evidence if they are considered to be scripture for a religious group?