It is not enough to just tell people what to do. If you want to be an effective leader, it is important to motivate your team to do their best. Here are five ways in which you can motivate your team. This applies to both paid staff and volunteers.
- Encourage them when they do something well. I worked with a leader who told me that I would only hear feedback if I was doing something wrong. Nothing would be said if I was doing my job well. That didn’t motivate me.
- Provide a clear job description. It is no good to just do “work.” People need to know what they are supposed to achieve so they can measure their success.
- Promote a clear and achievable vision for the organization. What is the organization trying to achieve? And what role does the team play in achieving that vision?
- Provide relevant training. Investing in the team’s skills, tells the team that they are valuable and worth building into.
- Listen to feedback. Sometimes leaders are insecure and are afraid to listen to their team. A strong leader will listen to both positive and negative feedback.
What others ways do you use to motivate people on your team?