The first thing you need to know is that there is a difference between a Facebook page and a Facebook group. The basic difference is that on a page, only the admin can post but everyone can post in a group. More on this in a future post.
Some people also see it as being about a choice between having a Facebook page and having a church website. I would say that you should have both. I’m available to help churches get affordable websites.
There is a lot that you can do with a church Facebook page. Here are five things:
- You can advertise events in the cover photo of your page. People may miss a post, but the cover photo is prime space. Change it up, including catchy announcements for events.
- Post links to sermon audio or text.
- Post links to interesting blog posts or articles relevant to your congregation. You may want to develop a policy for what types of links are acceptable or appropriate.
- Post pictures of people in your congregation, at worship services and at other church events. It is important to get people’s permission before posting their pictures.
- Use your Facebook page as the base from which to do Facebook advertising for church events. Facebook ads are extremely reasonable and easy to target to a specific audience. Facebook wants you to do this from your organization’s page. Setting up a page is the first step.
What about you? What do you use your church Facebook page for?