In smaller churches, pastors are equated with preachers. But even in larger churches, many pastors have preaching as one of their responsibilities, although perhaps not every week. After preaching for a number of years, it is is easy to get complacent when it comes to sermon preparation and delivery.
It would be a good idea for pastors to invest in our preaching. This can happen in a number of ways. Here are some suggestions to help take your preaching to the next level.
- Listen to audio or video of your preaching to get a better idea of how you preach.
- Attend preaching conferences.
- Listen to other preachers. This could be listening online or in person on our Sundays off.
- Invite a friend to come and listen and to offer their honest thoughts.
- Experiment with different styles of preaching.
- Take a course on communication.
- Read some books on preaching.
Two books that I would recommend are:
Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication by Andy Stanley and Lane Jones