For many people, the problem of suffering is one of the most difficult obstacles to faith. There are no easy answers to the problem suffering. But there is more to be done than just shrugging our shoulders and giving up.
Before looking for the right answers, we should be looking for the right questions. Here are five questions to ask when reflecting on the problem of suffering.
- Are we talking about moral evil or natural evil?
- In what way does human choice affect the extent of suffering?
- When we wish God would do something, what do we wish he would do?
- What would be the consequences of a world without suffering?
- What can we do to alleviate suffering in the world?