As I approach fifty, I have been doing a number of top five lists. I would be missing something if I didn’t include a list about the major milestones in my life. Many things have happened in my life, good and bad, but these are the top five that come to mind.
- Becoming a Christian. I’m not saying this because I’m a pastor and I am expected to. Becoming a Christian has been the single most transformative experience in my life. My life radically changed.
- Getting Married. It took me a while to get married, as I was 31 years old at the time (my goal had been 30). I have been extremely blessed to have Amanda as my wife. I honestly cannot think of a better life partner than Amanda. She is simply amazing.
- Becoming a Father. When I speak of becoming a father, I include my biological and adopted children in this. I really see no difference among my five children. Being a father is at the same time the most challenging and the most rewarding part of my life.
- Becoming an Autism Dad. Becoming a father was enough but having two of my children being diagnosed with autism was a change of another degree. Autism has shaped our family life and how I have developed as a person. I am a better human being for having autism in my life.
- Becoming a Pastor. I have worked at various jobs over my life, from warehouse worker to sales representative to magazine editor. However, becoming a pastor has been more than just getting a job. This is what I was meant to do. Even the break in ministry I had a few years ago was working toward making me a better pastor. I’m thankful that I have been able to find my calling.