Many of the Christian apologists that I talk to focus much of their thought on philosophy. Some of them almost equate philosophy and apologetics.
I would like to suggest that Christian apologists need to focus more on history. Why? Here are a few reasons.
- Some attacks on Christianity are based on historical events, such as the crusades and the inquisition.
- There are many false ideas about history that are in circulation, such as the Council of Nicaea choosing the books of the Bible.
- History is an important topic in the Bible, both in the Old and New Testaments.
- There are many Christian apologists throughout church history.
- Many of the apologetics challenges that we face today are similar to challenges that have appeared before.
- God works in history. We can see the way God has moved through men and women and events throughout the centuries.
If you are interested in learning more about Christian history, check out my History of Christianity Podcast.