I love being a pastor and I’m so thankful that the opportunity to return to pastoral ministry came after a three year break. I appreciate the work of my colleagues in ministry and I am very aware how easy it is to go off track. Here are seven questions that I and other pastors need be asking regularly. Two of the questions make assumptions about the family status of pastors. I understand that not every pastor falls into these categories but I thought it important to include for those who do.
- How is my relationship with God?
- How is my relationship with my spouse?
- How is my relationship with my children?
- What are my immediate and long-term goals for my ministry?
- What can I do to deepen my skills in the area of Bible, theology, ministry, etc.?
- What am I currently doing to develop leaders within my congregation?
- How is God working right now in my congregation/community and how can I cooperate with that work?